New Features in 16.5
As with all other releases, updates and enhancements from the Cubit
core have been integrated into this version of Trelis. The csimsoft team
continues to make Trelis easier to use and more robust. Our technology
partners, including Distene and Spatial, also continue to make their
respective contributions better, faster, and more robust.
Release Notes for Trelis 16.5 can be found here.
Updated Meshing Algorithms
Triangle Meshing Improvements
- The self-intersection prevention algorithm for triangle
meshes has been enhanced, especially on curved thin areas.
- Mesh quality has been improved when sizing is chaotic
- Volume gradation performance has improved
- More robust triangle meshing of discrete geometry
Tetrahedral Meshing Improvements
- The gradation, minimum size, and maximum size are handled
better making it possible to generate a coarser mesh than
previous versions as the gradation increases.
- Improved memory management decreasing crashes
The graphics subsystem was upgraded to VTK 8.0,
Rendering speed has increased anywhere from 4
times to 100 times, depending on the model being rendered.
Memory usage is roughly the same as in previous
versions of Trelis, although memory management has improved.
Other Important Changes
- Added ability to add a force on a node or face
- When selecting a material on the model tree, users can
now assign that material to a block or edit the material using
a context menu.
- Added ability to perform a quality check on a block.
- When importing or exporting Gambit Neutral File, users
must now use the keyword 'neutral'. Otherwise, a .dbs file
will be assumed.
- Users can now stitch surfaces that contain composites
- The ITEM Wizard is now its own docking window.
- The 'create surface from curves' command is more tolerant
of sloppy geometry.
- Added a new function the CubitInterface. double
evaluate_exterior_angle_at_curve( int curve_id, int volume_id)
Lite Mesh Enhancements
'Lite' mesh elements introduced in the previous
version have some additional functionality, including:
- When hitting 'n' in the graphics window the listing now
includes Lite elements
- More functions for highlighting and drawing Lite elements
- The Model Tree icon will change for blocks, sidesets, and
nodesets when Lite elements are contained
Remove Blunt Tangencies
A new command and command panel was added to
remove blunt tangencies. Read more detail about the function here.
vertex <id> [remove_material] [angle <degrees=45>]
[depth <value> ] [preview]
This command works on areas where tangencies cause very small
elements and small time steps.
Easy Access to More Power
The ITEM Wizard contains many tools that are
useful for defeaturing models or otherwise preparing a model for
meshing. The most popular tools have been exposed as command panels
making them easier to access and enabling their use in a custom
- Remove Small Features
- Check Meshability
- Check for Blend Surfaces
- Manage Gaps and Overlaps
- Manage Imprint and Merge
- Force a Sweep
- Suggest Source and Target Sweep Surfaces
- Suggest Decomposition Solutions